Professional Development Activities
The organizing committee for the IEEE Sixth International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS 2013) invites students that are at a mature stage of their doctoral studies, recently graduated, or recently appointed post-doctoral researchers in a biometrics related subject, to apply for the doctoral symposium and networking event (DSNE). The DSNE offers an opportunity for interaction with the faces behind the papers. It provides an opportunity to showcase your work over a poster session, interact with your peers and colleagues, and discuss and solicit advice from eminent researchers present at the conferences.
Each participant will be assigned a mentor who can serve as an external point of contact and a source of advice during the symposium and for the coming years. A LinkedIn Group will be created to keep the participating doctoral students in touch.
Benefits of these interactions include:
- Exchange and discussion of research ideas
- Employment and career advice
- Advice on how to put a closure to a PhD
- DSNE Submission deadline:
July 15, July 31, 2013
- DSNE Notification by:
July 30, August 9, 2013
- Doctoral Symposium and Networking Event: September 30th, 2013
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject [DSNE-BTAS2013]. The following information should be attached in a .pdf file:
- A Curriculum Vitae including the (expected) doctoral graduation date, university department and advisor(s).
- A one-page statement discussing career goals.
- A one-paragraph statement discussing the applicant’s main achievement in the field of biometrics.
- A recent published paper in which the applicant is the first author.
- Title and Abstract of the paper to be presented at the poster session.
The selection will be made by the Professional Development Activities (PDA) Co-Chairs and will be based upon the achievements of the applicants and the relevance of these achievements to the biometrics field. Successful applicants are expected to participate in the DSNE. They are also expected to participate to the associated LinkedIn Group that will be created.
Please send any questions or comments to:
Professional Development Activities Co-Chairs
- Kuntal Sengupta, Imprivata Inc., USA
- Theoharis Theoharis, NTNU, Norway, theotheo at idi.ntnu.no
- Shishir K. Shah, University of Houston, USA, sshah at central.uh.edu